Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Windy City


Dixie and I went to Chicago for the weekend. My older sister lives there. Dixie was an Urban Dog. She rode in elevators, walked the city streets, and spent the weekend on a leash whenever she was outside. (not her favorite by the way) My sister has a min-pin named Max. Dixie LOVES to play with him. It is so funny to watch, because they are such different sizes. We spent a bunch of time watching those two run after each other and play. All was well diabetes-wise. The only real issue was that I was down to my last bottle of test strips, and wasn’t expecting any from the mail order place until mid week. I came back from Chicago with two strips. The strips were in the door when I arrived home. Whew!

I have an appointment with my endocrinologist on Friday. Those appointments make me crazy. I’d like to be able to go in with confidence, and not worry the entire week. I worry that they will tell me that I have suddenly have kidney failure, am going blind, etc. I know that those worries are totally unsubstantiated, but I have them anyway. I really like my endo (at the International Diabetes Center), but I don’t find appointments that useful, except for getting lab work done. (A1c, micro albumin, liver check, etc.) Speaking of lab stuff, I am a big chicken when it comes to blood draws. You’d think that with all of the poking that I do everyday, I would be used to that kind of thing. I’m not. I’m the world’s biggest chicken.


DIXIE TIDBIT:
MN Nice asked about the public access test that I mentioned in my last entry. It is one of the standards that dogs must pass in order to be in public places, and to be called a certified service dog. Dixie does know the difference between home and public behavior, and acts accordingly. She will be silly at home, but never out in public. (except maybe at school when she plays with the kids) When we’re out, people will ask why they can’t pet her. It’s really about her ability to remember her public behavior versus home behavior. If people started just coming up and petting her, she would seek out affection from people. Although some people wouldn’t mind, many would if a big, black dog stuck her head in their hand.

The other question was “does she go with you when you drive.” The answer is yes. She rides in the car to go to work every day, rides to wherever I happen to travel to. She likes the car. She generally hops in after a day at school and crashes immediately.

Keep asking questions! I'm happy to share about Dixie!

2 comments:

Chrissie in Belgium said...

Dam dam dam - my whole message just disappeared....... In short, good luck on Friday, dogs are phenomenol, and I am glad you had fun in Chicago! Computers drive me nuts!

Scott K. Johnson said...

I got such a kick out of that picture! BIG dog & little dog! I bet that was just a riot!

Hope all was well at the endo.