Saturday, September 19, 2009

My invisible illness



30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know.

1. The illness I live with is: Type 1 diabetes

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 1975

3. But I had symptoms since: I actually didn't have symptoms. I went in to the doctor for my first grade check up and they did a random whiz quiz. I had some sugar in my urine, so I was sent to Children's Hospital for a blood test. I didn't start taking insulin until about 2 months after my diagnosis.

4. The biggest adjustment I've had to make is: My entire life had been a series of adjustments.

5. Most people assume: that I am mostly healthy. Which is true.

6. The hardest part about mornings are: Waking up and getting out of bed. I hate mornings.

7. My favorite medical TV show is: House. I used to be a big ER fan.

8. A gadget I couldn't live without is: My blood testing meter.

9. The hardest part about nights are: Getting organized for work the next morning.

10. Each day I take 2 pills & some vitamins: I've been figuring out how much vitamin D to take, because my levels are constantly low.

11. Regarding alternative treatments: I don't use alternative treatments to treat my Type 1, but use a variety of alternative treatments for other reasons.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: Neither. Both choices suck.

13. Regarding working and career: I work. I need health insurance to pay for my diabetes.

14. People would be surprised to know: That I hate injections and have a very low pain tolerance.

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: I was diagnosed when I was 6 years old. This is my reality. I don't remember any other way of life. I can say that it's a heck of a lot easier having diabetes with the technology/information that's available now versus when I was a kid.

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: I've never believed that I couldn't do something because of my diabetes.

17. The commercials about my illness: are few and far between, and are usually targeted to people with Type 2 diabetes.

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: Yeah, again, I don't remember anything pre diabetes. I miss not having flexibility in my life. I wish I could be more spontaneous.

19. It was really hard to have to give up: Um.... candy at Halloween as a child.

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: So this question seems to be geared to people who were diagnosed a whole lot later in life. I have taken up blogging in the last couple years.

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Have a day of unplanned freedom. I would take off without spare supplies, a meter, etc.

22. My illness has taught me: To persevere.

23. One thing people say that gets under my skin is: "Oh, you have a service dog? Your diabetes must be brittle."

24. But I love it when people: Recognize the time, effort, and energy I put into my diabetes management.

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: Giddy up.

26. When someone is diagnosed I'd like to tell them: That they can live a good life with diabetes. Diabetes doesn't have to define them.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: How resilient I am. I've also learned and experienced the ability dogs have to help manage diabetes.

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn't feeling well was: cover for me so that I could go home and crash.

29. I'm involved with Invisible Illness Week because: I have diabetes and I've been telling people about the significance of this week.

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: Super. Thanks for asking. :-)

6 comments:

meanderings said...

Those are great Molly!
I started mine yesterday, just haven't finished.

Auntly H said...

Great list!
That brittle comment (except I don't have a service dog - yet...) has been coming up a lot recently and is totally getting under my skin, too.

Bethanne said...

Someone said brittle to me just last week, and I was like...um, no I just have a pump because it's cool. LOL Great list.

Minnesota Nice said...

Hey Molly. You and I were diagnosed within a year of each other, but you were 6 and I was 19 (nonono don't do the math) So, at this point does it really make us any different? Because now I only have the faintest of memories of not having it............weird.
Hope you are enjoying the nice weather today - but I can really feel that chill settling back in this afternoon.

Henry Samson said...

My name is Henry. I also have type 1 diabetes, though was just diagnosed at 21 years old in March of 2008. I love your blog and am super interested in Dixie. What kind of dog is she? How did you find out about her?

One of my friends recently surveyed me about diabetes for a class. I was wondering if you minded if I took some of your questions and applied them to myself for a list that she could shoe her class? I didn't want to just be ripping from your blog page....

MorningStar said...

Hi Molly, great blog.. I found it very interesting. Perhaps we could do a (i think they call it blogroll exchange :))link exchange. view my site at
http://diagnosedwithdiabetes.blogspot.com and let me know if you are interested. thanks and keep up the good work.